Problem Solving Story consists of eight disciplines or steps that create a gradual and logical approach to solving problems. These disciplines are:
- Team Formation: In this discipline, a team leader is chosen and a team is formed to be responsible for solving the problem.
- Problem Description: This discipline identifies and accurately describes a problem, including its characteristics, impact, and consequences.
- Immediate Action: In this discipline, immediate steps are taken to minimize or stop the harmful effects of a problem and protect the customer.
- Corrective Actions and Root Cause Analysis: In this discipline, possible causes of a problem are identified and root cause analysis is performed to find the root cause of the problem.
- Select and Verify Corrective Actions: In this discipline, corrective actions are selected to eliminate the root cause of the problem. These measures are subsequently verified and tested.
- Prevention Planning: In this discipline, a plan is developed to ensure that the problem does not recur. It includes measures to prevent the problem in the future.
- Implementation and Closure: In this discipline, proposed improvements are implemented and their effectiveness is monitored. After successful implementation, the issue is considered resolved and closed.
- Team Certification and Celebration: In this discipline, feedback and recognition is provided to the team and individuals for successfully solving the problem.
PSS ( 8D ) helps solve problems in organizations, removes current ones and prevents future ones. It provides a structured approach and increases organizational efficiency.